Friday 7 July 2017

Day 129: Tobit 5 - 9


Chapter 5

1: Then Tobias answered his father Tobit, ‘I will do everything that you have commanded me, father; 
2: but how can I obtain the money from him, since he does not know me and I do not know him? What evidence  am I to give him so that he will recognize and trust me, and give me the money? Also, I do not know the roads to Media, or how to get there.’ 
3: Then Tobit answered his son Tobias, ‘He gave me his bond and I gave him my bond. I divided his in two; we each took one part, and I put one with the money. And now twenty years have passed since I left this money in trust. So now, my son, find yourself a trustworthy man to go with you, and we will pay him wages until you return. But get back the money from Gabael.’
4: So Tobias went out to look for a man to go with him to Media, someone who was acquainted with the way. He went out and found the angel Raphael standing in front of him; but he did not perceive that he was an angel of God. 
5: Tobias  said to him, ‘Where do you come from, young man?’ ‘From your kindred, the Israelites,’ he replied, ‘and I have come here to work.’ Then Tobias said to him, ‘Do you know the way to go to Media?’ 
6:‘Yes,’ he replied, ‘I have been there many times; I am acquainted with it and know all the roads. I have often travelled to Media, and stayed with our kinsman Gabael who lives in Rages of Media. It is a journey of two days from Ecbatana to Rages; for it lies in a mountainous area, while Ecbatana is in the middle of the plain.’ 
7: Then Tobias said to him, ‘Wait for me, young man, until I go in and tell my father; for I do need you to travel with me, and I will pay you your wages.’ 
8: He replied, ‘All right, I will wait; but do not take too long.’
9: So Tobias went in to tell his father Tobit and said to him, ‘I have just found a man who is one of our own Israelite kindred!’ He replied, ‘Call the man in, my son, so that I may learn about his family and to what tribe he belongs, and whether he is trustworthy enough to go with you.’
10: Then Tobias went out and called him, and said, ‘Young man, my father is calling for you.’ So he went in to him, and Tobit greeted him first. He replied, ‘Joyous greetings to you!’ But Tobit retorted, ‘What joy is left for me anymore? I am a man without eyesight; I cannot see the light of heaven, but I lie in darkness like the dead who no longer see the light. Although still alive, I am among the dead. I hear people but I cannot see them.’ But the young man said, ‘Take courage; the time is near for God to heal you; take courage.’ Then Tobit said to him, ‘My son Tobias wishes to go to Media. Can you accompany him and guide him? I will pay your wages, brother.’ He answered, ‘I can go with him and I know all the roads, for I have often gone to Media and have crossed all its plains, and I am familiar with its mountains and all of its roads.’
11: Then Tobit said to him, ‘Brother, of what family are you and from what tribe? Tell me, brother.’
12: He replied, ‘Why do you need to know my tribe?’ But Tobit said, ‘I want to be sure, brother, whose son you are and what your name is.’ 
13: He replied, ‘I am Azariah, the son of the great Hananiah, one of your relatives.’ 
14: Then Tobit said to him, ‘Welcome! God save you, brother. Do not feel bitter towards me, brother, because I wanted to be sure about your ancestry. It turns out that you are a kinsman, and of good and noble lineage. For I knew Hananiah and Nathan, the two sons of Shemeliah, and they used to go with me to Jerusalem and worshipped with me there, and were not led astray. Your kindred are good people; you come of good stock. Hearty welcome!
15: Then he added, ‘I will pay you a drachma a day as wages, as well as expenses for yourself and my son. So go with my son, 
16: and I will add something to your wages.’ Raphael answered, ‘I will go with him; so do not fear. We shall leave in good health and return to you in good health, because the way is safe.’ 
17: So Tobit said to him, ‘Blessings be upon you, brother.’ Then he called his son and said to him, ‘Son, prepare supplies for the journey and set out with your brother. May God in heaven bring you safely there and return you in good health to me; and may his angel, my son, accompany you both for your safety.’ Before he went out to start his journey, he kissed his father and mother. Tobit then said to him, ‘Have a safe journey.’
18: But his mother began to weep, and said to Tobit, ‘Why is it that you have sent my child away? Is he not the staff of our hand as he goes in and out before us? 
19: Do not heap money upon money, but let it be a ransom for our child. -
20: For the life that is given to us by the Lord is enough for us.’ 
21: Tobit said to her, ‘Do not worry; our child will leave in good health and return to us in good health. Your eyes will see him on the day when he returns to you in good health. Say no more! Do not fear for them, my sister. 
22: For a good angel will accompany him; his journey will be successful, and he will come back in good health.’

Chapter 6

1: So she stopped weeping. The young man went out and the angel went with him; 
2: and the dog came out with him and went along with them. So they both journeyed along, and when the first night overtook them they camped by the Tigris river. 
3: Then the young man went down to wash his feet in the Tigris river. Suddenly a large fish leapt up from the water and tried to swallow the young man’s foot, and he cried out. 
4: But the angel said to the young man, ‘Catch hold of the fish and hang on to it!’ So the young man grasped the fish and drew it up on the land. 
5: Then the angel said to him, ‘Cut open the fish and take out its gall, heart, and liver. Keep them with you, but throw away the intestines. For its gall, heart, and liver are useful as medicine.’ 
6: So after cutting open the fish the young man gathered together the gall, heart, and liver; then he roasted and ate some of the fish, and kept some to be salted.The two continued on their way together until they were near Media.
7: Then the young man questioned the angel and said to him, ‘Brother Azariah, what medicinal value is there in the fish’s heart and liver, and in the gall?’ 
8: He replied, ‘As for the fish’s heart and liver, you must burn them to make a smoke in the presence of a man or woman afflicted by a demon or evil spirit, and every affliction will flee away and never remain with that person any longer. 
9: And as for the gall, anoint a person’s eyes where white films have appeared on them; blow upon them, upon the white films, and the eyes will be healed.’
10: When he entered Media and already was approaching Ecbatana,
11: Raphael said to the young man, ‘Brother Tobias.’ ‘Here I am,’ he answered. Then Raphael said to him, ‘We must stay this night in the home of Raguel. He is your relative, and he has a daughter named Sarah. 
12: He has no male heir and no daughter except Sarah only, and you, as next of kin to her, have before all other men a hereditary claim on her. Also it is right for you to inherit her father’s possessions. Moreover, the girl is sensible, brave, and very beautiful, and her father is a good man.’ 
13: He continued, ‘You have every right to take her in marriage. So listen to me, brother; tonight I will speak to her father about the girl, so that we may take her to be your bride. When we return from Rages we will celebrate her marriage. For I know that Raguel can by no means keep her from you or promise her to another man without incurring the penalty of death according to the decree of the book of Moses. Indeed he knows that you, rather than any other man, are entitled to marry his daughter. So now listen to me, brother, and tonight we shall speak concerning the girl and arrange her engagement to you. And when we return from Rages we will take her and bring her back with us to your house.’
14: Then Tobias said in answer to Raphael, ‘Brother Azariah, I have heard that she already has been married to seven husbands and that they died in the bridal chamber. On the night when they went in to her, they would die. I have heard people saying that it was a demon that killed them. 
15: It does not harm her, but it kills anyone who desires to approach her. So now, since I am the only son my father has, I am afraid that I may die and bring my father’s and mother’s life down to their grave, grieving for me - and they have no other son to bury them.’
16: But Raphael said to him, ‘Do you not remember your father’s orders when he commanded you to take a wife from your father’s house? Now listen to me, brother, and say no more about this demon. Take her. I know that this very night she will be given to you in marriage. 
17: When you enter the bridal chamber, take some of the fish’s liver and heart, and put them on the embers of the incense. An odour will be given off;
18: the demon will smell it and flee, and will never be seen near her any more. Now when you are about to go to bed with her, both of you must first stand up and pray, imploring the Lord of heaven that mercy and safety may be granted to you. Do not be afraid, for she was set apart for you before the world was made. You will save her, and she will go with you. I presume that you will have children by her, and they will be as brothers to you. Now say no more!’ When Tobias heard the words of Raphael and learned that she was his kinswoman, related through his father’s lineage, he loved her very much, and his heart was drawn to her. 

Chapter 7

1: When they entered Ecbatana, Tobias said, “Brother Azariah, lead me straight to our kinsman Raguel.” So he brought him to the house of Raguel, whom they found seated by his courtyard gate. They greeted him first. He said to them, “Greetings to you too, brothers! Good health to you, and welcome!” When he brought them into his home,
2: he said to his wife Edna, “This young man looks just like my kinsman Tobit!”
3: So Edna asked them, “Who are you, brothers?” They answered, “We are of the exiles from Naphtali at Nineveh.”
4: She said, “Do you know our kinsman Tobit?” They answered, “Indeed we do!” She asked, “Is he well?”
5: They answered, “Yes, he is alive and well.” Then Tobias exclaimed, “He is my father!”
6: Raguel sprang up and kissed him, shedding tears of joy.
7: But when he heard that Tobit had lost his eyesight, he was grieved and wept aloud. He said to Tobias: “My child, God blesses you! You are the son of a noble and good father. But what a terrible misfortune that such a righteous and charitable man should be afflicted with blindness!” He continued to weep in the arms of his kinsman Tobias.
8: His wife Edna also wept for Tobit; and even their daughter Sarah began to weep.
9: Afterward, Raguel slaughtered a ram from the flock and gave them a cordial reception. When they had bathed and reclined to eat, Tobias said to Raphael, “Brother Azariah, ask Raguel to let me marry my kinswoman Sarah.”
10: Raguel overheard the words; so he said to the boy: “Eat and drink and be merry tonight, for no man is more entitled to marry my daughter Sarah than you, brother. Besides, not even I have the right to give her to anyone but you, because you are my closest relative. But I will explain the situation to you very frankly.
11: I have given her in marriage to seven men, all of whom were kinsmen of ours, and all died on the very night they approached her. But now, son, eat and drink. I am sure the Lord will look after you both.” Tobias answered, “I will eat or drink nothing until you set aside what belongs to me.” Raguel said to him: “I will do it. She is yours according to the decree of the Book of Moses. Your marriage to her has been decided in heaven! Take your kinswoman; from now on you are her love, and she is your beloved. She is yours today and ever after. And tonight, son, may the Lord of heaven prosper you both. May he grant you mercy and peace.”
12: Then Raguel called his daughter Sarah, and she came to him. He took her by the hand and gave her to Tobias with the words: “Take her according to the law. According to the decree written in the Book of Moses she is your wife. Take her and bring her back safely to your father. And may the God of heaven grant both of you peace and prosperity.”
13: He then called her mother and told her to bring a scroll, so that he might draw up a marriage contract stating that he gave Sarah to Tobias as his wife according to the decree of the Mosaic law. Her mother brought the scroll, and he drew up the contract, to which they affixed their seals.
14: Afterward they began to eat and drink.
15: Later Raguel called his wife Edna and said, “My love, prepare the other bedroom and bring the girl there.”
16: She went and made the bed in the room, as she was told, and brought the girl there. After she had cried over her, she wiped away the tears and said:
17: “Be brave, my daughter. May the Lord of heaven grant you joy in place of your grief. Courage, my daughter.” Then she left.

Chapter 8

1When they had finished eating and drinking, the girl’s parents wanted to retire. They brought the young man out of the dining room and led him into the bedroom.
2: At this point Tobias, mindful of Raphael’s instructions, took the fish’s liver and heart from the bag which he had with him, and placed them on the embers for the incense.
3: The demon, repelled by the odor of the fish, fled into Upper Egypt; Raphael pursued him there and bound him hand and foot. Then Raphael returned immediately.
4When the girl’s parents left the bedroom and closed the door behind them, Tobias arose from bed and said to his wife, “My love, get up. Let us pray and beg our Lord to have mercy on us and to grant us deliverance.”
5She got up, and they started to pray and beg that deliverance might be theirs. He began with these words: “Blessed are you, O God of our fathers; praised be your name forever and ever. Let the heavens and all your creation praise you forever.
6You made Adam and you gave him his wife Eve to be his help and support; and from these two the human race descended. You said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone; let us make him a partner like himself.’
7Now, Lord, you know that I take this wife of mine not because of lust, but for a noble purpose. Call down your mercy on me and on her, and allow us to live together to a happy old age.”
8They said together, “Amen, amen,”
9and went to bed for the night. But Raguel got up and summoned his servants. With him they went out to dig a grave,
10for he said, “I must do this, because if Tobias should die, we would be subjected to ridicule and insult.”
11When they had finished digging the grave, Raguel went back into the house and called his wife,
12saying, “Send one of the maids in to see whether Tobias is alive or dead, so that if necessary we may bury him without anyone’s knowing about it.”
13She sent the maid, who lit a lamp, opened the bedroom door, went in, and found them sound asleep together.
14The maid went out and told the girl’s parents that Tobias was alive, and that there was nothing wrong.
15Then Raguel praised the God of heaven in these words: “Blessed are you, O God, with every holy and pure blessing! Let all your chosen ones praise you; let them bless you forever!
16Blessed are you, who have made me glad; what I feared did not happen. Rather you have dealt with us according to your great mercy.
17Blessed are you, for you were merciful toward two only children. Grant them, Master, mercy and deliverance, and bring their lives to fulfillment with happiness and mercy.”
18Then he told his servants to fill in the grave before dawn.
19He asked his wife to bake many loaves of bread; he himself went out to the herd and picked out two steers and four rams which he ordered to be slaughtered. So the servants began to prepare the feast.
20: He summoned Tobias and made an oath in his presence, saying: “For fourteen days you shall not stir from here, but shall remain here eating and drinking with me; and you shall bring joy to my daughter’s sorrowing spirit.
21Take, to begin with, half of whatever I own when you go back in good health to your father; the other half will be yours when I and my wife die. Be of good cheer, my son! I am your father, and Edna is your mother; and we belong to you and to your beloved now and forever. So be happy, son!”

Chapter 9

1Then Tobias called Raphael and said to him:
2“Brother Azariah, take along with you four servants and two camels and travel to Rages. Go to Gabael’s house and give him this bond. Get the money and then bring him along with you to the wedding celebration.
3You witnessed the oath that Raguel has sworn; I cannot violate his oath.”
4For you know that my father is counting the days. If I should delay my return by a single day, I would cause him intense grief.
5So Raphael, together with the four servants and two camels, traveled to Rages in Media, where they stayed at Gabael’s house. Raphael gave Gabael his bond and told him about Tobit’s son Tobias, and that he had married and was inviting him to the wedding celebration. Gabael promptly checked over the sealed moneybags, and they placed them on the camels.
6The following morning they got an early start and traveled to the wedding celebration. When they entered Raguel’s house, they found Tobias reclining at table. He sprang up and greeted Gabael, who wept and blessed him, exclaiming: “O noble and good child, son of a noble and good, upright and charitable man, may the Lord grant heavenly blessing to you and to your wife, and to your wife’s father and mother. Blessed be God, because I have seen the very image of my cousin Tobit!”


No comments:

Post a Comment