Friday 29 September 2017

Day 213: Isaiah 44 - 47


Chapter 44

Israel the LORD’s Chosen
1: “But now hear, O Jacob my servant, Israel whom I have chosen!
2: Thus says the LORD who made you, who formed you from the womb and will help you:
Fear not, O Jacob my servant, Jeshurun whom I have chosen.
3: For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.
4: They shall spring up among the grass like willows by flowing streams.
5: This one will say, ‘I am the LORD’s,’ another will call on the name of Jacob, and another will write on his hand, ‘The LORD’s,’ and name himself by the name of Israel.”
Besides Me There Is No God
6: Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts:
“I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.
7: Who is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and set it before me, since I appointed an ancient people. Let them declare what is to come, and what will happen.
8: Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any.”
The Folly of Idolatry
9: All who fashion idols are nothing, and the things they delight in do not profit. Their witnesses neither see nor know that they may be put to shame.
10: Who fashions a god or casts an idol that is profitable for nothing?
11: Behold, all his companions shall be put to shame, and the craftsmen are only human. Let them all assemble, let them stand forth. They shall be terrified; they shall be put to shame together.
12: The ironsmith takes a cutting tool and works it over the coals. He fashions it with hammers and works it with his strong arm. He becomes hungry, and his strength fails; he drinks no water and is faint.
13: The carpenter stretches a line; he marks it out with a pencil. He shapes it with planes and marks it with a compass. He shapes it into the figure of a man, with the beauty of a man, to dwell in a house.
14: He cuts down cedars, or he chooses a cypress tree or an oak and lets it grow strong among the trees of the forest. He plants a cedar and the rain nourishes it.
15: Then it becomes fuel for a man. He takes a part of it and warms himself; he kindles a fire and bakes bread. Also he makes a god and worships it; he makes it an idol and falls down before it.
16: Half of it he burns in the fire. Over the half he eats meat; he roasts it and is satisfied. Also he warms himself and says, “Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire!”
17: And the rest of it he makes into a god, his idol, and falls down to it and worships it. He prays to it and says, “Deliver me, for you are my god!”
18: They know not, nor do they discern, for he has shut their eyes, so that they cannot see, and their hearts, so that they cannot understand.
19: No one considers, nor is there knowledge or discernment to say, “Half of it I burned in the fire; I also baked bread on its coals; I roasted meat and have eaten. And shall I make the rest of it an abomination? Shall I fall down before a block of wood?”
20: He feeds on ashes; a deluded heart has led him astray, and he cannot deliver himself or say, “Is there not a lie in my right hand?”

The LORD Redeems Israel
21: Remember these things, O Jacob, and Israel, for you are my servant; I formed you; you are my servant; O Israel, you will not be forgotten by me.
22: I have blotted out your transgressions like a cloud and your sins like mist; return to me, for I have redeemed you.
23: Sing, O heavens, for the LORD has done it; shout, O depths of the earth; break forth into singing, O mountains, O forest, and every tree in it! For the LORD has redeemed Jacob, and will be glorified in Israel.
24: Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, who formed you from the womb: “I am the LORD, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself,
25: who frustrates the signs of liars and makes fools of diviners, who turns wise men back and makes their knowledge foolish,
26: who confirms the word of his servant and fulfills the counsel of his messengers,
who says of Jerusalem, ‘She shall be inhabited,’ and of the cities of Judah, ‘They shall be built, and I will raise up their ruins’;
27: who says to the deep, ‘Be dry; I will dry up your rivers’;
28: who says of Cyrus, ‘He is my shepherd, and he shall fulfill all my purpose’; saying of Jerusalem, ‘She shall be built,’ and of the temple, ‘Your foundation shall be laid.’

Chapter 45

Cyrus, God’s Instrument
1: Thus says the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have grasped, to subdue nations before him and to loose the belts of kings, to open doors before him
that gates may not be closed:
2: “I will go before you and level the exalted places; I will break in pieces the doors of bronze and cut through the bars of iron,
3: I will give you the treasures of darkness and the hoards in secret places, that you may know that it is I, the LORD, the God of Israel, who call you by your name.
4: For the sake of my servant Jacob, and Israel my chosen,I call you by your name, I name you, though you do not know me.
5: I am the LORD, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me,
6: that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the LORD, and there is no other.
7: I form light and create darkness; I make well-being and create calamity; I am the LORD, who does all these things.
8: “Shower, O heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain down righteousness; let the earth open, that salvation and righteousness may bear fruit; let the earth cause them both to sprout; I the LORD have created it.
9: “Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’ or ‘Your work has no handles’?
10: Woe to him who says to a father, ‘What are you begetting?’ or to a woman, ‘With what are you in labor?’”
11: Thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and the one who formed him: “Ask me of things to come; will you command me concerning my children and the work of my hands?
12: I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host.
13: I have stirred him up in righteousness, and I will make all his ways level; he shall build my city and set my exiles free, not for price or reward,” says the LORD of hosts.

The LORD, the Only Savior 
14: Thus says the LORD: “The wealth of Egypt and the merchandise of Cush, and the Sabeans, men of stature, shall come over to you and be yours; they shall follow you;
they shall come over in chains and bow down to you. They will plead with you, saying:
‘Surely God is in you, and there is no other, no god besides him.’”
15: Truly, you are a God who hides himself, O God of Israel, the Savior.
16: All of them are put to shame and confounded; the makers of idols go in confusion together.
17: But Israel is saved by the LORD with everlasting salvation; you shall not be put to shame or confounded to all eternity.
18: For thus says the LORD, who created the heavens (he is God!), who formed the earth and made it (he established it; he did not create it empty, he formed it to be inhabited!): “I am the LORD, and there is no other.
19: I did not speak in secret, in a land of darkness; I did not say to the offspring of Jacob, ‘Seek me in vain.’ I the LORD speak the truth; I declare what is right.
20: “Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, you survivors of the nations!
They have no knowledge who carry about their wooden idols, and keep on praying to a god that cannot save.
21: Declare and present your case; let them take counsel together! Who told this long ago? Who declared it of old? Was it not I, the LORD? And there is no other god besides me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none besides me.
22: “Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.
23: By myself I have sworn; from my mouth has gone out in righteousness a word that shall not return: ‘To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance.’
24: “Only in the LORD, it shall be said of me, are righteousness and strength; to him shall come and be ashamed all who were incensed against him.
25: In the LORD all the offspring of Israel shall be justified and shall glory.”

Chapter 46

The Idols of Babylon and the One True God 
1: Bel bows down; Nebo stoops; their idols are on beasts and livestock; these things you carry are borne as burdens on weary beasts.
2: They stoop; they bow down together; they cannot save the burden,but themselves go into captivity.
3: “Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all the remnant of the house of Israel, who have been borne by me from before your birth, carried from the womb;
4: even to your old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save.
5: “To whom will you liken me and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be alike?
6: Those who lavish gold from the purse, and weigh out silver in the scales, hire a goldsmith, and he makes it into a god; then they fall down and worship!
7: They lift it to their shoulders, they carry it, they set it in its place, and it stands there;
it cannot move from its place. If one cries to it, it does not answer or save him from his trouble.
8: “Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors,
9: remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me,
10: declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done,
saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’
11: calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.
12: “Listen to me, you stubborn of heart, you who are far from righteousness:
13: I bring near my righteousness; it is not far off, and my salvation will not delay;
I will put salvation in Zion, for Israel my glory.”

Chapter 47

The Humiliation of Babylon 
1: Come down and sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon; sit on the ground without a throne, O daughter of the Chaldeans! For you shall no more be called
tender and delicate.
2: Take the millstones and grind flour, put off your veil, strip off your robe, uncover your legs, pass through the rivers.
3: Your nakedness shall be uncovered, and your disgrace shall be seen. I will take vengeance, and I will spare no one.
4: Our Redeemer—the LORD of hosts is his name— is the Holy One of Israel.
5: Sit in silence, and go into darkness, O daughter of the Chaldeans; for you shall no more be called the mistress of kingdoms.
6: I was angry with my people; I profaned my heritage; I gave them into your hand;
you showed them no mercy; on the aged you made your yoke exceedingly heavy.
7: You said, “I shall be mistress forever,” so that you did not lay these things to heart
or remember their end.
8: Now therefore hear this, you lover of pleasures, who sit securely, who say in your heart, “I am, and there is no one besides me; I shall not sit as a widow or know the loss of children”:
9: These two things shall come to you in a moment, in one day; the loss of children and widowhood shall come upon you in full measure, in spite of your many sorceries
and the great power of your enchantments.
10: You felt secure in your wickedness; you said, “No one sees me”; your wisdom and your knowledge led you astray, and you said in your heart, “I am, and there is no one besides me.”
11: But evil shall come upon you, which you will not know how to charm away; disaster shall fall upon you, for which you will not be able to atone; and ruin shall come upon you suddenly, of which you know nothing.
12: Stand fast in your enchantments and your many sorceries, with which you have labored from your youth; perhaps you may be able to succeed; perhaps you may inspire terror.
13: You are wearied with your many counsels; let them stand forth and save you,
those who divide the heavens, who gaze at the stars, who at the new moons make known what shall come upon you.
14: Behold, they are like stubble; the fire consumes them; they cannot deliver themselves from the power of the flame. No coal for warming oneself is this,
no fire to sit before!
15: Such to you are those with whom you have labored, who have done business with you from your youth; they wander about, each in his own direction; there is no one to save you.

No comments:

Post a Comment