Tuesday, 15 August 2017

Day 168: Psalms 46- 50


Chapter 46

God Is Our Fortress
To the choirmaster:  Of the Sons of Korah. According to Alamoth. A Song

1: God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2: Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
3: though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah
4: There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High.
5: God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns.
6: The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts.
7: The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah
8: Come, behold the works of the Lord, how he has brought desolations on the earth.
9: He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the chariots with fire.
10: “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
11: The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah

Chapter 47

God Is King over All the Earth
To the choirmaster: A Psalm of the Sons of Korah.

1: Clap your hands, all peoples! Shout to God with loud songs of joy!
2: For the Lord, the Most High is to be feared, a great king over all the earth.
3: He subdued peoples under us, and nations under our feet.
4: He chose our heritage for us, the pride of Jacob whom he loves. Selah
5: God has gone up with a shout, the Lord with the sound of a trumpet.
6: Sing praises to God, sing praises! Sing praises to our King, sing praises!

7: For God is the King of all the earth; sing praises with a psalm!
8: God reigns over the nations; God sits on his holy throne.
9: The princes of the peoples gather as the people of the God of Abraham. For the shields of the earth belong to God; he is highly exalted!

Chapter 48

Zion, the City of Our God
A Song - A Psalm of the Sons of Korah

1: Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised in the city of our God! His holy mountain,
2: beautiful in elevation, is the joy of all the earth, Mount Zion, in the far north, the city of the great King.
3: Within her citadels God has made himself known as a fortress.
4: For behold, the kings assembled; they came on together.
5: As soon as they saw it, they were astounded; they were in panic; they took to flight.
6: Trembling took hold of them there, anguish as of a woman in labor.
7: By the east wind you shattered the ships of Tarshish.
8: As we have heard, so have we seen in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God, which God will establish forever. Selah
9: We have thought on your steadfast love, O God, in the midst of your temple.
10: As your name, O God, so your praise reaches to the ends of the earth. Your right hand is filled with righteousness.
11: Let Mount Zion be glad! Let the daughters of Judah rejoice because of your judgments!
12: Walk about Zion, go around her, number her towers,
13: consider well her ramparts, go through her citadels, that you may tell the next generation
14: that this is God, our God forever and ever. He will guide us forever.

Chapter 49

Why Should I Fear in Times of Trouble?
To the choirmaster- A Psalm of the Sons of Korah.

1: Hear this, all peoples! Give ear, all inhabitants of the world,
2: both low and high, rich and poor together!
3: My mouth shall speak wisdom; the meditation of my heart shall be understanding.
4: I will incline my ear to a proverb; I will solve my riddle to the music of the lyre.
5: Why should I fear in times of trouble, when the iniquity of those who cheat me surrounds me,
6: those who trust in their wealth and boast of the abundance of their riches?
7: Truly no man can ransom another, or give to God the price of his life,
8: for the ransom of their life is costly and can never suffice,
9: that he should live on forever and never see the pit.
10: For he sees that even the wise die; the fool and the stupid alike must perish and leave their wealth to others.
11: Their graves are their homes forever, their dwelling places to all generations, though they called lands by their own names.
12: Man in his pomp will not remain; he is like the beasts that perish.
13: This is the path of those who have foolish confidence; yet after them people approve of their boasts.   Selah
14: Like sheep they are appointed for Sheol; death shall be their shepherd, and the upright shall rule over them in the morning. Their form shall be consumed in Sheol, with no place to dwell
15: But God will ransom my soul from the power of Sheol, for he will receive me. Selah
16: Be not afraid when a man becomes rich, when the glory of his house increases.
17: For when he dies he will carry nothing away; his glory will not go down after him.
18: For though, while he lives, he counts himself blessed —and though you get praise when you do well for yourself—
19: his soul will go to the generation of his fathers, who will never again see light.
20: Man in his pomp yet without understanding is like the beasts that perish.

Chapter 50

God Himself Is Judge
A Psalm of Asaph

1: The Mighty One, God the Lord, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
2: Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God shines forth.
3: Our God comes; he does not keep silence; before him is a devouring fire, around him a mighty tempest.
4: He calls to the heavens above and to the earth, that he may judge his people:
5: “Gather to me my faithful ones, who made a covenant with me by sacrifice!”
6: The heavens declare his righteousness, for God himself is judge! Selah
7: “Hear, O my people, and I will speak; O Israel, I will testify against you. I am God, your God.
8: Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you; your burnt offerings are continually before me.
9: I will not accept a bull from your house or goats from your folds.
10: For every beast of the forest is mine, the cattle on a thousand hills.
11: I know all the birds of the hills, and all that moves in the field is mine.
12: “If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for the world and its fullness are mine.
13: Do I eat the flesh of bulls or drink the blood of goats?
14: Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High,
15: and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”
16: But to the wicked God says: “What right have you to recite my statutes or take my covenant on your lips?
17: For you hate discipline, and you cast my words behind you.
18: If you see a thief, you are pleased with him, and you keep company with adulterers.
19: “You give your mouth free rein for evil, and your tongue frames deceit.
20: You sit and speak against your brother; you slander your own mother’s son.
21:These things you have done, and I have been silent; you thought that Ic was one like yourself. But now I rebuke you and lay the charge before you.
22: “Mark this, then, you who forget God, lest I tear you apart, and there be none to deliver!

23: The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me; to one who orders his way rightly I will show the salvation of God!”

No comments:

Post a Comment