Friday, 18 August 2017

Day 171: Psalms 66 - 69


Chapter 66

How Awesome Are Your Deeds
To the choirmaster - A Song, A Psalm

1: Shout for joy to God, all the earth;
2: sing the glory of his name; give to him glorious praise!
3: Say to God, “How awesome are your deeds! So great is your power that your enemies come cringing to you.
4: All the earth worships you and sings praises to you; they sing praises to your name.” Selah
5: Come and see what God has done: he is awesome in his deeds toward the children of man.
6: He turned the sea into dry land; they passed through the river on foot. There did we rejoice in him,
7: who rules by his might forever, whose eyes keep watch on the nations — let not the rebellious exalt themselves. Selah
8: Bless our God, O peoples; let the sound of his praise be heard,
9: who has kept our soul among the living and has not let our feet slip.
10: For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried.
11: You brought us into the net; you laid a crushing burden on our backs;
12: you let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance.
13: I will come into your house with burnt offerings; I will perform my vows to you,
14: that which my lips uttered and my mouth promised when I was in trouble.
15: I will offer to you burnt offerings of fattened animals, with the smoke of the sacrifice of rams; I will make an offering of bulls and goats. Selah
16: Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for my soul.
17: I cried to him with my mouth, and high praise was on my tongue.
18: If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.
19: But truly God has listened; he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
20: Blessed be God, because he has not rejected my prayer or removed his steadfast love from me!

Chapter 67

Make Your Face Shine upon Us
To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Psalm A Song.

1: May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us, Selah
2: that your way may be known on earth, your saving power among all nations.
3: Let the peoples praise you, O God; let all the peoples praise you!
4: Let the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you judge the peoples with equity and guide the nations upon earth. Selah
5: Let the peoples praise you, O God; let all the peoples praise you!
6: The earth has yielded its increase; God, our God, shall bless us.
7: God shall bless us; let all the ends of the earth fear him!

Chapter 68

God Shall Scatter His Enemies
To the choirmaster - a Psalm of David; a Song

1: God shall arise, his enemies shall be scattered; and those who hate him shall flee before him!
2: As smoke is driven away, so you shall drive them away; as wax melts before fire, so the wicked shall perish before God!
3: But the righteous shall be glad; they shall exult before God; they shall be jubilant with joy!
4: Sing to God, sing praises to his name; lift up a song to him who rides through the deserts;
his name is the Lord; exult before him!
5: Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation.
6: God settles the solitary in a home; he leads out the prisoners to prosperity, but the rebellious dwell in a parched land.
7: O God, when you went out before your people, when you marched through the wilderness, Selah
8: the earth quaked, the heavens poured down rain, before God, the One of Sinai, before God, the God of Israel.
9: Rain in abundance, O God, you shed abroad; you restored your inheritance as it languished;
10: your flock found a dwelling in it; in your goodness, O God, you provided for the needy.
11: The Lord gives the word; the women who announce the news are a great host:
12: “The kings of the armies—they flee, they flee!” The women at home divide the spoil—
13: though you men lie among the sheepfolds— the wings of a dove covered with silver, its pinions with shimmering gold.
14: When the Almighty scatters kings there, let snow fall on Zalmon.
15: O mountain of God, mountain of Bashan; O many-peaked mountain, mountain of Bashan!
16: Why do you look with hatred, O many-peaked mountain, at the mount that God desired for his abode, yes, where the Lord will dwell forever?
17: The chariots of God are twice ten thousand, thousands upon thousands; the Lord is among them; Sinai is now in the sanctuary.
18: You ascended on high, leading a host of captives in your train and receiving gifts among men, even among the rebellious, that the Lord God may dwell there.
19: Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation. Selah
20: Our God is a God of salvation, and to God, the Lord, belong deliverances from death.
21: But God will strike the heads of his enemies, the hairy crown of him who walks in his guilty ways.
22: The Lord said, “I will bring them back from Bashan, I will bring them back from the depths of the sea,
23: that you may strike your feet in their blood, that the tongues of your dogs may have their portion from the foe.”
24: Your procession is seen, O God, the procession of my God, my King, into the sanctuary—
25: the singers in front, the musicians last, between them virgins playing tambourines:
26: “Bless God in the great congregation, the Lord, O you who are of Israel’s fountain!”
27: There is Benjamin, the least of them, in the lead, the princes of Judah in their throng,
the princes of Zebulun, the princes of Naphtali.
28: Summon your power, O God, the power, O God, by which you have worked for us.
29: Because of your temple at Jerusalem kings shall bear gifts to you.
30: Rebuke the beasts that dwell among the reeds, the herd of bulls with the calves of the peoples. Trample underfoot those who lust after tribute; scatter the peoples who delight in war.
31: Nobles shall come from Egypt; Cush shall hasten to stretch out her hands to God.
32: O kingdoms of the earth, sing to God; sing praises to the Lord, Selah
33: to him who rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens; behold, he sends out his voice, his mighty voice.
34: Ascribe power to God, whose majesty is over Israel, and whose power is in the skies.
35: Awesome is God from his sanctuary; the God of Israel—he is the one who gives power and strength to his people. Blessed be God!

Chapter 69

Save Me, O God
To the choirmaster: according to Lilies. Of David

1: Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck.
2: I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me.
3: I am weary with my crying out; my throat is parched. My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God.
4: More in number than the hairs of my head are those who hate me without cause; mighty are those who would destroy me, those who attack me with lies. What I did not steal must I now restore?
5: O God, you know my folly; the wrongs I have done are not hidden from you.
6: Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord God of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel.
7: For it is for your sake that I have borne reproach, that dishonor has covered my face.
8: I have become a stranger to my brothers, an alien to my mother’s sons.
9: For zeal for your house has consumed me, and the reproaches of those who reproach you have fallen on me.
10: When I wept and humbled my soul with fasting, it became my reproach.
11: When I made sackcloth my clothing, I became a byword to them.
12: I am the talk of those who sit in the gate, and the drunkards make songs about me.
13: But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness.
14: Deliver me from sinking in the mire; let me be delivered from my enemies and from the deep waters.
15: Let not the flood sweep over me, or the deep swallow me up, or the pit close its mouth over me.
16: Answer me, O Lord, for your steadfast love is good; according to your abundant mercy, turn to me.
17: Hide not your face from your servant, for I am in distress; make haste to answer me.
18: Draw near to my soul, redeem me; ransom me because of my enemies!
19: You know my reproach, and my shame and my dishonor; my foes are all known to you.
20: Reproaches have broken my heart, so that I am in despair. I looked for pity, but there was none, and for comforters, but I found none.
21: They gave me poison for food, and for my thirst they gave me sour wine to drink.
22: Let their own table before them become a snare; and when they are at peace, let it become a trap.
23: Let their eyes be darkened, so that they cannot see, and make their loins tremble continually.
24: Pour out your indignation upon them, and let your burning anger overtake them.
25: May their camp be a desolation; let no one dwell in their tents.
26: For they persecute him whom you have struck down, and they recount the pain of those you have wounded.
27: Add to them punishment upon punishment; May they have no acquittal from you.
28: Let them be blotted out of the book of the living; let them not be enrolled among the righteous.
29: But I am afflicted and in pain; let your salvation, O God, set me on high!
30: I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving.
31: This will please the Lord more than an ox or a bull with horns and hoofs.
32: When the humble see it they will be glad; you who seek God, let your hearts revive.
33: For the Lord hears the needy and does not despise his own people who are prisoners.
34: Let heaven and earth praise him, the seas and everything that moves in them.
35: For God will save Zion and build up the cities of Judah, and people shall dwell there and possess it;
36: the offspring of his servants shall inherit it, and those who love his name shall dwell in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment