Sunday, 13 August 2017

Day 166: Psalms 36- 39


Chapter 36

How Precious Is Your Steadfast Love
To the choirmaster - of David, the servant of the Lord

1: Transgression speaks to the wicked deep in his heart; there is no fear of God
before his eyes.
2: For he flatters himself in his own eyes that his iniquity cannot be found out and hated.
3: The words of his mouth are trouble and deceit; he has ceased to act wisely and do good.
4: He plots trouble while on his bed; he sets himself in a way that is not good; he does not reject evil.
5: Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.
6: Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep;
man and beast you save, O Lord.
7: How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
8: They feast on the abundance of your house, and you give them drink from the river of your delights.
9: For with you is the fountain of life; in your light do we see light.
10: Oh, continue your steadfast love to those who know you, and your righteousness to the upright of heart!
11: Let not the foot of arrogance come upon me, nor the hand of the wicked drive me away.
12: There the evildoers lie fallen; they are thrust down, unable to rise.

Chapter 37

He Will Not Forsake His Saints
Of David

1: Fret not yourself because of evildoers; be not envious of wrongdoers!
2: For they will soon fade like the grass and wither like the green herb.
3: Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
4: Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
5: Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act.
6: He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday.
7: Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!
8: Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.
9: For the evildoers shall be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land.
10: In just a little while, the wicked will be no more; though you look carefully at his place, he will not be there.
11: But the meek shall inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant peace.
12: The wicked plots against the righteous and gnashes his teeth at him,
13: but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he sees that his day is coming.
14: The wicked draw the sword and bend their bows to bring down the poor and needy,
to slay those whose way is upright;
15: their sword shall enter their own heart, and their bows shall be broken.
16: Better is the little that the righteous has than the abundance of many wicked.
17: For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, but the Lord upholds the righteous.
18: The Lord knows the days of the blameless, and their heritage will remain forever;
19: they are not put to shame in evil times; in the days of famine they have abundance.
20: But the wicked will perish; the enemies of the Lord are like the glory of the pastures;
they vanish—like smoke they vanish away.
21: The wicked borrows but does not pay back, but the righteous is generous and gives;
22: for those blessed by the Lord shall inherit the land, but those cursed by him shall be cut off.
23: The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way;
24: though he falls, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand.
25: I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken
or his children begging for bread.
26: He is ever lending generously, and his children become a blessing.
27: Turn away from evil and do good; so shall you dwell forever.
28: For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his saints. They are preserved forever,
but the children of the wicked shall be cut off.
29: The righteous shall inherit the land and dwell upon it forever.
30: The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks justice.
31: The law of his God is in his heart; his steps do not slip.
32: The wicked watches for the righteous and seeks to put him to death.
33: The Lord will not abandon him to his power or let him be condemned when he is brought to trial.
34: Wait for the Lord and keep his way, and he will exalt you to inherit the land; you will look on when the wicked are cut off.
35: I have seen a wicked, ruthless man, spreading himself like a green laurel tree.
36: But he passed away, and behold, he was no more; though I sought him, he could not be found.
37: Mark the blameless and behold the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
38: But transgressors shall be altogether destroyed; the future of the wicked shall be cut off.
39: The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord; he is their stronghold in the time of trouble.
40: The Lord helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them,
because they take refuge in him.

Chapter 38

Do Not Forsake Me, O Lord
A Psalm of David, for the memorial offering

1: O Lord, rebuke me not in your anger, nor discipline me in your wrath!
2: For your arrows have sunk into me, and your hand has come down on me.
3: There is no soundness in my flesh because of your indignation; there is no health in my bones because of my sin.
4: For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me.
5: My wounds stink and fester because of my foolishness,
6: I am utterly bowed down and prostrate; all the day I go about mourning.
7: For my sides are filled with burning, and there is no soundness in my flesh.
8: I am feeble and crushed; I groan because of the tumult of my heart.
9: O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you.
10: My heart throbs; my strength fails me, and the light of my eyes—it also has gone from me.
11: My friends and companions stand aloof from my plague, and my nearest kin stand far off.
12: Those who seek my life lay their snares; those who seek my hurt speak of ruin and meditate treachery all day long.
13: But I am like a deaf man; I do not hear, like a mute man who does not open his mouth.
14: I have become like a man who does not hear, and in whose mouth are no rebukes.
15: But for you, O Lord, do I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer.
16: For I said, “Only let them not rejoice over me, who boast against me when my foot slips!”
17: For I am ready to fall, and my pain is ever before me.
18: I confess my iniquity; I am sorry for my sin.
19: But my foes are vigorous, they are mighty, and many are those who hate me wrongfully.
20: Those who render me evil for good accuse me because I follow after good.
21: Do not forsake me, O Lord! O my God, be not far from me!
22: Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation!

Chapter 39

What Is the Measure of My Days?
To the choirmaster: to Jeduthun. A Psalm of David

1: I said, “I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth with a muzzle, so long as the wicked are in my presence.”
2: I was mute and silent; I held my peace to no avail, and my distress grew worse.
3: My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue:
4: “O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!
5: Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you. Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! Selah
6: Surely a man goes about as a shadow! Surely for nothinga they are in turmoil; man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather!
7: “And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you.
8: Deliver me from all my transgressions. Do not make me the scorn of the fool!
9: I am mute; I do not open my mouth, for it is you who have done it.
10: Remove your stroke from me; I am spent by the hostility of your hand.
11: When you discipline a man with rebukes for sin, you consume like a moth what is dear to him; surely all mankind is a mere breath! Selah
12: “Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry; hold not your peace at my tears!
For I am a sojourner with you, a guest, like all my fathers.

13: Look away from me, that I may smile again, before I depart and am no more!”

No comments:

Post a Comment