Monday 21 August 2017

Day 174: Psalms 108 - 118


Chapter 108

With God We Shall Do Valiantly
A Song: A Psalm of David

1: My heart is steadfast, O God! I will sing and make melody with all my being!
2: Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn!
3: I will give thanks to you, O LORD, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations.
4: For your steadfast love is great above the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
5: Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth!
6: That your beloved ones may be delivered, give salvation by your right hand and answer me!
7: God has promised in his holiness: “With exultation I will divide up Shechem and portion out the Valley of Succoth.
8: Gilead is mine; Manasseh is mine; Ephraim is my helmet, Judah my scepter.
9: Moab is my washbasin; upon Edom I cast my shoe; over Philistia I shout in triumph.”
10: Who will bring me to the fortified city? Who will lead me to Edom?
11: Have you not rejected us, O God? You do not go out, O God, with our armies.
12: Oh grant us help against the foe, for vain is the salvation of man!
13: With God we shall do valiantly; it is he who will tread down our foes.

Chapter 109

Help Me, O LORD My God
To the choirmaster: A Psalm of David

1: Be not silent, O God of my praise!
2: For wicked and deceitful mouths are opened against me, speaking against me with lying tongues.
3: They encircle me with words of hate, and attack me without cause.
4: In return for my love they accuse me, but I give myself to prayer.
5: So they reward me evil for good, and hatred for my love.
6: Appoint a wicked man against him; let an accuser stand at his right hand.
7: When he is tried, let him come forth guilty; let his prayer be counted as sin!
8: May his days be few; may another take his office!
9: May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow!
10: May his children wander about and beg, seeking food far from the ruins they inhabit!
11: May the creditor seize all that he has; may strangers plunder the fruits of his toil!
12: Let there be none to extend kindness to him, nor any to pity his fatherless children!
13: May his posterity be cut off; may his name be blotted out in the second generation!
14: May the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the LORD, and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out!
15: Let them be before the LORD continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth!
16: For he did not remember to show kindness, but pursued the poor and needy and the brokenhearted, to put them to death.
17: He loved to curse; let curses come upon him! He did not delight in blessing; may it be far from him!
18: He clothed himself with cursing as his coat; may it soak into his body like water, like oil into his bones!
19: May it be like a garment that he wraps around him, like a belt that he puts on every day!
20: May this be the reward of my accusers from the LORD, of those who speak evil against my life!
21: But you, O GOD my Lord, deal on my behalf for your name’s sake; because your steadfast love is good, deliver me!
22: For I am poor and needy, and my heart is stricken within me.
23: I am gone like a shadow at evening; I am shaken off like a locust.
24: My knees are weak through fasting; my body has become gaunt, with no fat.
25: I am an object of scorn to my accusers; when they see me, they wag their heads.
26: Help me, O LORD my God! Save me according to your steadfast love!
27: Let them know that this is your hand; you, O LORD, have done it!
28: Let them curse, but you will bless! They arise and are put to shame, but your servant will be glad!
29: May my accusers be clothed with dishonor; may they be wrapped in their own shame as in a cloak!
30: With my mouth I will give great thanks to the LORD; I will praise him in the midst of the throng.
31: For he stands at the right hand of the needy one, to save him from those who condemn his soul to death.

Chapter 110  

Sit at My Right Hand
A Psalm of David

1: The LORD says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.”
2: The LORD sends forth from Zion your mighty scepter. Rule in the midst of your enemies!
3: Your people will offer themselves freely on the day of your power, in holy garments; from the womb of the morning, the dew of your youth will be yours.
4: The LORD has sworn and will not change his mind, “You are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.”
5: The Lord is at your right hand; he will shatter kings on the day of his wrath.
6: He will execute judgment among the nations, filling them with corpses; he will shatter chiefs
over the wide earth.
7: He will drink from the brook by the way; therefore he will lift up his head.
 
Chapter 111

Great Are the LORD’s Works

1: Praise the LORD! I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation.
2: Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them.
3: Full of splendor and majesty is his work, and his righteousness endures forever.
4: He has caused his wondrous works to be remembered; the LORD is gracious and merciful.
5: He provides food for those who fear him; he remembers his covenant forever.
6: He has shown his people the power of his works, in giving them the inheritance of the nations.
7: The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy;
8: they are established forever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.
9: He sent redemption to his people; he has commanded his covenant forever. Holy and awesome is his name!
10: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!

Chapter 112

The Righteous Will Never Be Moved
1: Praise the LORD! Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commandments!
2: His offspring will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed.
3: Wealth and riches are in his house, and his righteousness endures forever.
4: Light dawns in the darkness for the upright; he is gracious, merciful, and righteous.
5: It is well with the man who deals generously and lends; who conducts his affairs with justice.
6: For the righteous will never be moved; he will be remembered forever.
7: He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD.
8: His heart is steady; he will not be afraid, until he looks in triumph on his adversaries.
9: He has distributed freely; he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever;
his horn is exalted in honor.
10: The wicked man sees it and is angry; he gnashes his teeth and melts away;
the desire of the wicked will perish!

Chapter 113

Who Is like the LORD Our God?

1: Praise the LORD! Praise, O servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD!
2: Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and forevermore!
3: From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the LORD is to be praised!
4: The LORD is high above all nations, and his glory above the heavens!
5: Who is like the LORD our God, who is seated on high,
6: who looks far down on the heavens and the earth?
7: He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap,
8: to make them sit with princes, with the princes of his people.
9: He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children.
Praise the LORD!

Chapter 114

Tremble at the Presence of the Lord
1: When Israel went out from Egypt, the house of Jacob from a people of strange language,
2: Judah became his sanctuary, Israel his dominion.
3: The sea looked and fled; Jordan turned back.
4: The Mountains skipped like rams, the hills like lambs.
5: What ails you, O sea that you flee? O Jordan that you turn back?
6: O mountains, that you skip like rams? O hills, like lambs?
7: Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the God of Jacob,
8: who turns the rock into a pool of water, the flint into a spring of water.


Chapter 115

To Your Name Give Glory

1: Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness!
2: Why should the nations say, “Where is their God?”
3: Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases.
4: Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands.
5: They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see.
6: They have ears, but do not hear; noses, but do not smell.
7: They have hands, but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; and they do not make a sound in their throat.
8: Those who make them become like them; so do all who trust in them.
9: O Israel, trust in the LORD! He is their help and their shield.
10: O house of Aaron, trust in the LORD! He is their help and their shield.
11: You, who fear the LORD, trust in the LORD! He is their help and their shield.
12: The LORD has remembered us; he will bless us; he will bless the house of Israel;
he will bless the house of Aaron;
13: he will bless those who fear the LORD, both the small and the great.
14: May the LORD give you increase, you and your children!
15: May you be blessed by the LORD, who made heaven and earth!
16: The heavens are the LORD’s heavens, but the earth he has given to the children of man.
17: The dead do not praise the LORD, nor do any who go down into silence.
18: But we will bless the LORD from this time forth and forevermore. Praise the LORD!

Chapter 116

I Love the LORD
1: I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy.
2: Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live.
3: The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish.
4: Then I called on the name of the LORD: “O LORD, I pray, deliver my soul!”
5: Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; our God is merciful.
6: The LORD preserves the simple; when I was brought low, he saved me.
7: Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.
8: For you have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling;
9: I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
10: I believed, even when I spoke: “I am greatly afflicted”;
11: I said in my alarm, “All mankind are liars.”
12: What shall I render to the LORD for all his benefits to me?
13: I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD,
14: I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people.
15: Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.
16: O LORD, I am your servant; I am your servant, the son of your maidservant.
You have loosed my bonds.
17: I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the LORD.
18: I will pay my vows to the LORDin the presence of all his people,
19: in the courts of the house of the LORD, in your midst, O Jerusalem. Praise the LORD!

Chapter 117

The LORD’s Faithfulness Endures Forever
1: Praise the LORD, all nations! Extol him, all peoples!
2: For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever. Praise the LORD!

Chapter 118  

His Steadfast Love Endures Forever

1: Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!
2: Let Israel say, “His steadfast love endures forever.”
3: Let the house of Aaron say, “His steadfast love endures forever.”
4: Let those who fear the LORD say, “His steadfast love endures forever.”
5: Out of my distress I called on the LORD; the LORD answered me and set me free.
6: The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?
7: The LORD is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.
8: It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
9: It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes.
10: All nations surrounded me; in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
11: They surrounded me, surrounded me on every side; in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
12: They surrounded me like bees; they went out like a fire among thorns; in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
13: I was pushed hard, so that I was falling, but the LORD helped me.
14: The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.
15: Glad songs of salvation are in the tents of the righteous: “The right hand of the LORD does valiantly,
16: the right hand of the LORD exalts, the right hand of the LORD does valiantly!”
17: I shall not die, but I shall live, and recount the deeds of the LORD.
18: The LORD has disciplined me severely, but he has not given me over to death.
19: Open to me the gates of righteousness that I may enter through them and give thanks to the LORD.
20: This is the gate of the LORD; the righteous shall enter through it.
21: I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation.
22: The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.
23: This is the LORD’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.
24: This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
25: Save us, we pray, O LORD! O LORD, we pray, give us success!
26: Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD! We bless you from the house of the LORD.
27: The LORD is God, and he has made his light to shine upon us. Bind the festal sacrifice with cords, up to the horns of the altar!
28: You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God; I will extol you.
29: Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment