Sunday, 20 August 2017

Day 173: Psalms 74 - 77


Chapter 74

Arise, O God, Defend Your Cause
A Maskil of Asaph

1: O God, why do you cast us off forever? Why does your anger smoke against the sheep of your pasture?
2: Remember your congregation, which you have purchased of old, which you have redeemed to be the tribe of your heritage! Remember Mount Zion, where you have dwelt.
3: Direct your steps to the perpetual ruins; the enemy has destroyed everything in the sanctuary!
4: Your foes have roared in the midst of your meeting place; they set up their own signs for signs.
5: They were like those who swing axes in a forest of trees.
6: And all its carved wood they broke down with hatchets and hammers.
7: They set your sanctuary on fire; they profaned the dwelling place of your name, bringing it down to the ground.
8: They said to themselves, “We will utterly subdue them”; they burned all the meeting places of God in the land.
9: We do not see our signs; there is no longer any prophet, and there is none among us who knows how long.
10: How long, O God, is the foe to scoff? Is the enemy to revile your name forever?
11: : Why do you hold back your hand, your right hand? Take it from the fold of your garment and destroy them!
12: Yet God my King is from of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth.
13: You divided the sea by your might; you broke the heads of the sea monsters on the waters.
14: You crushed the heads of Leviathan; you gave him as food for the creatures of the wilderness.
15: You split open springs and brooks; you dried up ever-flowing streams.
16: Yours is the day, yours also the night; you have established the heavenly lights and the sun.
17: You have fixed all the boundaries of the earth; you have made summer and winter.
18: Remember this, O Lord, how the enemy scoffs, and a foolish people reviles your name.
19: Do not deliver the soul of your dove to the wild beasts; do not forget the life of your poor forever.
20: Have regard for the covenant, for the dark places of the land are full of the habitations of violence.
21: Let not the downtrodden turn back in shame; let the poor and needy praise your name.
22: Arise, O God, defend your cause; remember how the foolish scoff at you all the day!
23: Do not forget the clamor of your foes, the uproar of those who rise against you, which goes up continually!

Chapter 75

God Will Judge with Equity
To the choirmaster: according to Do Not Destroy. A Psalm of Asaph, A Song

1: We give thanks to you, O God; we give thanks, for your name is near. We recount your wondrous deeds.
2: “At the set time that I appoint I will judge with equity.
3: When the earth totters, and all its inhabitants, it is I who keep steady its pillars. Selah
4: I say to the boastful, ‘Do not boast,’ and to the wicked, ‘Do not lift up your horn;
5: do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with haughty neck.’”
6: For not from the east or from the west and not from the wilderness comes lifting up,
7: but it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another.
8: For in the hand of the Lord there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed, and he pours out from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down to the dregs.
9: But I will declare it forever; I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
10: All the horns of the wicked I will cut off, but the horns of the righteous shall be lifted up.

Chapter 76

Who Can Stand Before You?
To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Psalm of Asaph. A Song.

1: In Judah God is known; his name is great in Israel.
2: His abode has been established in Salem, his dwelling place in Zion.
3: There he broke the flashing arrows, the shield, the sword, and the weapons of war. Selah
4: Glorious are you, more majestic than the mountains full of prey.
5: The stouthearted were stripped of their spoil; they sank into sleep; all the men of war were unable to use their hands.
6: At your rebuke, O God of Jacob, both rider and horse lay stunned.
7: But you, you are to be feared! Who can stand before you when once your anger is roused?
8: From the heavens you uttered judgment; the earth feared and was still,
9: when God arose to establish judgment, to save all the humble of the earth. Selah
10: : Surely the wrath of man shall praise you; the remnant of wrath you will put on like a belt.
11: : Make your vows to the LORD your God and perform them; let all around him bring gifts
to him who is to be feared,
12: : who cuts off the spirit of princes, who is to be feared by the kings of the earth.

Chapter 77

In the Day of Trouble I Seek the Lord
To the choirmaster: according to Jeduthun. A Psalm of Asaph

1: I cry aloud to God, aloud to God, and he will hear me.
2: In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord; in the night my hand is stretched out without wearying; my soul refuses to be comforted.
3: When I remember God, I moan; when I meditate, my spirit faints. Selah
4: You hold my eyelids open; I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
5: I consider the days of old, the years long ago.
6: I said, “Let me remember my song in the night; let me meditate in my heart.” Then my spirit made a diligent search:
7: “Will the Lord spurn forever and never again be favorable? 8Has his steadfast love forever ceased? Are his promises at an end for all time?
9: Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has he in anger shut up his compassion?” Selah
10: Then I said, “I will appeal to this, to the years of the right hand of the Most High.”
11: : I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your wonders of old.
12: I will ponder all your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds.
13: Your way, O God, is holy. What god is great like our God?
14: You are the God who works wonders; you have made known your might among the peoples.
15: You with your arm redeemed your people, the children of Jacob and Joseph. Selah
16: When the waters saw you, O God, when the waters saw you, they were afraid; indeed, the deep trembled.
17: The clouds poured out water; the skies gave forth thunder; your arrows flashed on every side.
18: The crash of your thunder was in the whirlwind; your lightnings lighted up the world; the earth trembled and shook.
19: Your way was through the sea, your path through the great waters; yet your footprints were unseen.
20: You led your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.


No comments:

Post a Comment